Why don’t realtors use plain language to advertise their listings? How are we to be able to translate what they write so that we know what a home really has to offer?
The first step in selling a home is marketing that home, and sometimes the brutal truth is just not going to attract a buyer. We figure that if we can at least get you to explore the possibilities, that there is a chance of a sale. “Cozy” sounds much more appealing than “small”, “motivated seller” is less alarming than “the seller needs a sale now” and “awaits your vision” is far more intriguing than “this place needs a complete overhaul.” I’ve included a translation guide to some of our more popular phrases to aid you in understanding “realtor-speak” as you peruse our listings!
- Complete Renovation: the home has had a top to bottom overhaul and nearly everything is new within the past few years
- Mature Landscaping: large trees, but it could border on overgrown
- Secluded: there is no one anywhere to be found
- Historic: old, with windows that don’t open, don’t stay open, don’t shut or don’t lock
- Original: everything is at least 50 years old
- Investment Opportunity: you’re going to need to gut this one to the studs
- Needs TLC – another complete rehab needed
- Custom Window Treatments: early 90s, expensive, teal or rose colored draperies
- Must see Inside: zero curb appeal
- Bonus Room – no one knows what to do with this space
- One Car Garage – you might get your Suburban in, but forget about opening the doors once inside
- Up & Coming Neighborhood – this home is next to the train tracks
- Desirable Neighborhood – you’ll be paying more for this house because people love the neighborhood
- As Is – inspect before making your offer – the seller won’t be fixing anything
- Unique – you might have a hard time reselling this one
- Close to the Village – a 10 minute drive by car
- Walk to Village Shops – might be possible, but who has time?
Central Sewickley Village neighborhood sited on a level lot with large fenced backyard and patio. Hard-to-find four car garage with one bedroom apartment above is ideal for nanny, in-laws or rental income. Nicely remodeled interior with neutral décor, three finished levels of living space including large gameroom on lower level! $750,000
Looking for a home delivered to you on a silver platter? Your search is over! This custom built all brick colonial was just renovated with 3 new luxury baths, newer kitchen, new roof, new HVAC, new deck, new paint in modern aesthetic and more. Totally turn-key for you and your family! 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 3 car garage, finished walk-out lower level, nearly 2 acre lot. $775,000
As an Associate Broker at
HOWARD HANNA REAL ESTATE SERVICES,
Kathe Barge, CRS, ABR, CNE, is ready to answer any
questions you may have regarding your real estate needs.
Feel free to contact her at the office (412) 741-2200 x238,
or on her mobile phone (412) 779-6060.